We cannot continue to react to these tragedies. It is time for America to pro-actively address these acts of violence. I know that many of you think that advocating to remove the gun-free zones and promote carry and conceal licenses is a direct insult to the families of the victims. However, which of these two is less sensitive: letting innocent citizens sit there unable to defend themselves, praying the police get to them before the shooter does, or empowering good people to defend not only themselves in these situations but everyone around them?
Here are some examples of times where citizens were able to prevent mass shootings:
- A 1997 high school shooting in Pearl, Miss., was halted by the school's vice principal after he retrieved the Colt .45 he kept in his truck.
- A 1998 middle school shooting ended when a man living next door heard gunfire and apprehended the shooter with his shotgun.
- A 2002 terrorist attack at an Israeli school was quickly stopped by an armed teacher and a school guard.
- A 2002 law school shooting in Grundy, Va., came to an abrupt conclusion when students carrying firearms confronted the shooter.
- A 2007 mall shooting in Ogden, Utah, ended when an armed off-duty police officer intervened.
- A 2009 workplace shooting in Houston, Texas, was halted by two coworkers who carried concealed handguns.
- A 2012 church shooting in Aurora, Colo., was stopped by a member of the congregation carrying a gun.
- At the recent mall shooting in Portland, Ore., the gunman took his own life minutes after being confronted by a shopper carrying a concealed weapon.
We cannot continue to blame the guns or even society for the actions of these sick and evil individuals. As Ronald Reagan said, "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
People have been killing people since before guns were ever even thought of. It is time to stop blaming the gun, and start blaming the individuals. Last week in China a man stabbed 22 children and an elderly woman.
These are sick and evil people and we need to call them out for what they are. If we take away guns, criminals will just use another means to cause harm. We need to make sure that we are arming good men and women to rise up and defend their community when the time comes.
H/T Justin Higgins