Thursday, December 27, 2012

@AndrewBreitbart: @GlennBeck tried to take away @BreitbartNews editors, writers

The late Andrew Breitbart and Dana Loesch [Image Credit: Illinois Review]

 Guest blogger: Becca J. Lower

Could it be that these portions of Stephen Bannon's interview in December 2011 with the late Andrew Breitbart relate to the lawsuit that Big Journalism editor-in-chief Dana Loesch has filed against Breitbart.com LLC? Since I'm not a lawyer, I won't speculate. You can make up your own mind. [emphasis mine]

 Andrew Breitbart:

There are people in the movement I’ve had rifts with, and there’s nothing I’d like more than to heal those rifts. But I was warned about Glenn Beck by my intellectual betters, people who have a lot more power than me in the conservative movement, and I didn’t heed their advice. And I had exactly happen to me what they warned would happen, and it’s happened so many times.

I think he’s a clever guy. He’s a clever guy, and I know that while he was throwing me under the bus he was simultaneously using his guys that work for him to go try and take away editors and writers that worked for me and to demean me in the process. While he was doing this, he was weirdly– on the air– say, “Oh, Breitbart, he’s valiant. Breitbart, he’s heroic,” making it so that the audience would say, “Well, Glenn only says nice things about Andrew on the air,” while simultaneously was sending his radio agents, you know, people in his radio network and trying to get my editors in order to create a competitor website over at The Blaze and GBTV.

So, he’s a snake. Everybody in the business knows that he’s a snake, and he won’t confront me on that. He can’t rectify the situation with me. He’s going to have to figure out a way to rectify things with anyone who takes my word, and finds themselves a supporter of him as well....
Later, he continues:
This guy is a huckster, he’s always been a huckster.

It’s only a few years ago that he was a shock jock, and that he was a “Morning Zoo” guy. He’s been taking people’s content for years and not crediting it. He tripped into the vast right-wing conspiracy, and that’s where he had his greatest successes. So he said, “Okay I’m a radio show host, and now I’m a popular television show host. I’m gonna become a book author, I’m gonna become everything. Now I’m going to become a web impresario.”

How do you do that? How do you create the New York Times from scratch? How do you– well, in his mind, it was take Breitbart stuff and don’t credit it and simultaneously try to destroy him and his reputation by throwing him under the bus on Sherrod. And then a month later, create a replica website using people that he’s hired away from Breitbart’s site. And then not let Andrew Breitbart defend himself when you are throwing him under the bus.... 
Again, a special hat tip to R. Stacy McCain for sharing the audio of the interview, and for daring to ask the hard questions.

-Becca Lower

No comments:

Post a Comment